An approach by Dr Jeffrey Young
Over the past 2 years Practitioners/Tutors at ACT Counselling Services have delivered several workshops titled ‘An Introduction to Schema Therapy – an approach by Dr Jeffrey Young’, across Scotland.
Due to the success of the workshops outlined above and positive feedback received we have taken the decision to deliver ‘Practicing Schema Focussed Therapy.’ This course recaps on the content covered in the introductory workshop and then goes on to focus in much more detail and depth on the practice of Schema Focused Therapy in its component parts.
The course aims to provide Practicing Therapists with the knowledge, techniques, confidence and support to utilise this unifying, insightful and profoundly powerful approach in their work with clients. Before this is possible however, participants are required to view themselves, their experiences and relationships through the lens that Schema Focused Therapy provides.
The Practicing Schema Focused Therapy course takes place 1 evening per week for 3 hours (6pm – 9pm) over a duration of 10 weeks. At the conclusion of the course participants will be issued with certificates of attendance that will detail 15 hours of Theory and 15 hours of Skills that can be used as CPD.
More details as follows:
1. To implement Schema Therapy in conjunction with own Therapeutic Style.
2. To convey principles, concepts and processes relevant to Schema Therapy to the client.
3. To collaboratively adapt Schema Therapy to ensure that the model works for the client.
4. To avoid being excessively didactic, and to skilfully facilitate the client’s exploration of their life experiences, relationships potential insights.
5. To structure sessions in response to the client’s needs and ensures their safety on leaving.
6. To seek appropriate guidance and supervision.
1. An ability to educate client to the model of Schema Therapy and respond to any queries that they may have.
2. An ability to identify and work collaboratively with client behaviours that may interfere with the course of Therapy and Efficacy of Treatment (e.g. Entitlement Schema).
3. An ability to recognise when difficulties in the therapeutic alliance with the client relate to the impact of childhood experiences on their current behaviour, and a capacity to address these issues by drawing client’s attention to Schema Modes in order to provide a corrective emotional experience.
4. An ability to recognise and to acknowledge therapist errors and repair any therapeutic ruptures
5. An ability to utilise Supervision in relation to practice.
Week 1 – Contracting/Psycho education
Week 2 – Schema Assessment/Inventories
Week 3 – Schema Case Conceptualisation
Week 4 – Imagery Assessment
Week 5 – Logical Analysis
Week 6 – Interlinking of Schema Modes, Coping Strategies and coping Styles
Week 7 – Schema Perpetuation, Schema Chemistry, ‘Repetition Compulsion.’
Week 8 – Imagery Rescripting
Week 9 – Behavioural Interventions
Week 10 – Endings
NB: The content of each week will take the form of a Tutor led Presentation, Tutor led Skills Demonstration, Skills Practise.
Course Dates (6pm – 9pm each week)
Week 1 – Tuesday 07/05/19
Week 2 – Tuesday 14/05/19
Week 3 – Tuesday 21/05/19
Week 4 – Tuesday 28/05/19
Week 5 – Tuesday 04/06/19
Week 6 – Tuesday 11/06/19
Week 7 – Tuesday 18/06/19
Week 8 – Tuesday 25/06/19
Week 9 – Tuesday 02/07/19
Week 10 – Tuesday 09/07/19
A non refundable deposit of £50 is required to book a place on this course. The cost of the course is £600 in total. The remaining £550 can be paid in full prior to the beginning of the course or in 3 monthly direct debit instalments (20/05/2019, 20/06/2019 and 20/07/2019) of £183.33
The course will be delivered at ACT Counselling Services Ltd, Suite 7, Abercromby Business Centre, 279 Abercromby Street, Bridgeton, Glasgow, G40 2DD.
The course will be delivered by BABCP Accredited CB Psychotherapists who have extensive knowledge related to the theory and practice of Schema Therapy and have used the approach to treat complex and enduring disorders.
It is anticipated that demand for this course will be high. Book your place now by completing the attached booking form and return by emailing to firstname.lastname@example.org
Alternatively, booking forms may be posted to ACT Counselling Services Ltd, Suite 7, Abercromby Business Centre, 279 Abercromby Street, Bridgeton, Glasgow, G40 2DD. Payments of deposit or course fees by cheque may also be made by posting to this address. BACS transfers or direct debits can be arranged by emailing Andy Gray on email@example.com